Tuesday, March 24, 2015

     Coming up with this blog has stressed me out, so I have put it off till 11 pm to write it. Everyone has picked really good controversial topics to write about and have grabbed interests of other students. I know I talk about random topics in class but coming up with a topic to blog is extremely difficult and I don't know why. All I know is a blog is place to express ones opinion in hope of finding someone who shares the same thoughts. 
     I love talking about my childhood because I had an amazing childhood. Growing was so much fun. I'm the oldest child and have two younger siblings, one brother is 16 and the other is 10. My family was  extremely close and my father basically raised us all while my mom was at work. The other day I started to talk about how my father would discipline us. While this isn't probably acceptable to do anymore, my father would spank us. I rarely got spanked as a kid but my brothers got spanked countless times. Now that I look back on it, I think its hysterical that my brothers would try to test my dads patience, but his patience never changed. They both knew what was going to happen but kept egging him on. Soon enough my dad was up and spanking my brothers then sending them to their rooms.
   I don't find anything wrong with this type of punishment at all, maybe because I raised this way, but I would discipline my children the same way I was raised. It's not abuse, but a way to teach our kids who is in charge. I wouldn't want my children to talk back to me. I would want them to show me respect and learn nothing in life comes without some sort of punishment. I was never allowed to curse as a kid, the one time I did I called my nanny "stupid" and got my mouth washed out with soap. I never cursed again until about middle school. The message got across clear for me. I also learned never to talk back to adults or there would be a consequence waiting for me when I get home. I have no complaints about how I was raised or discipline. Personally I think it was effective on me and taught me things that are useful today. 
   How you discipline your kids is all personal preference but talking about it or deciding to spank your kids or wash their mouth out with soap shouldn't bother people I think. I learned my lessons and never cursed at an adult again. Like I said its all personal preference but I have nothing wrong with spanking kids.
    Like I stated in my introduction, Im blogging about this topic to see if I share any of the same opinions with anyone else, and the fact I stressed about this and for some reason spanking children came to my mind as a controversial topic.

3 comments:

  1. It certainly does seem that spanking has fallen out of favor, and I have to say that I am one who thinks that is probably a good thing. Aside from questions of effectiveness, I wonder what it actually teaches children. You suggest that it teaches them to respect authority, but I wonder if it doesn't do the opposite based on what you suggest--indicate why it's fun to toy with authority.

    That's not to say that I think that spanking is inherently going to destroy your children. Probably it won't change much about how a child's life as long as the abuse is not severe. Of course, unless it is severe, I wonder who effective it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with spanking as long as the parents are careful about it and do not abuse their authority and abuse their children. I was spanked as a child and I respect authority but still have the respect to confront authority when I feel something wrong is happening. I will probably spank my children not because I want to but so they learn how to be respectful. I will probably use the threat of spanking more than actually spank my children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with spanking as long as the parents are careful about it and do not abuse their authority and abuse their children. I was spanked as a child and I respect authority but still have the respect to confront authority when I feel something wrong is happening. I will probably spank my children not because I want to but so they learn how to be respectful. I will probably use the threat of spanking more than actually spank my children.

    ReplyDelete